She’s been missing in action…again. I’ve been a terrible blogger this year.
I shouldn’t make excuses again. I was extremely sick with pneumonia and asthma though, so I’m going to cheat and throw that out there. I’ve also just been a bit slack.
As an apology, I’m going to share a pretty-damn-tasty and super easy muffin recipe. I made these yesterday and they were delicious and dense and filling and avoided any of the nasty things in most store-bought muffins or pre-packaged mixes.
They were so good, Gogol wanted to eat them before I even made them:
Blueberry and Walnut Oaty Muffins (closely adapted from this recipe)
1 1/4 cups wholemeal flour
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries (if you’re using frozen, don’t defrost before adding to the mix)
3/4 cup of roughly chopped walnuts
2 large oranges
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup olive oil
2 heaped teaspoons of cinnamon
1 egg (lightly beaten)
1/2 cup boiling water
1. Zest one of the oranges. Juice both, for around 1 cup juice (I ended up with a bit less and it was fine).
2. Mix all of the dry ingredients together.
3. Mix in the blueberries and the orange zest
4. Mix in everything else, adding the boiling water last. Hint: Don’t pour the boiling water onto the egg – you’ll cook it!
5. Leave to sit for around 15 minutes (i.e. enough time to wipe down the unholy mess of flour, honey and walnut dust you’ve got all over the bench. Just me? Ok.)
6. Spoon the mix into a muffin tray. Bake at about 180 deg. Celsius for anywhere between 15-20 minutes, depending on your oven oomph. When a fork comes out clean, they’re done.
(Note: I didn’t use baking soda because I like my muffins to be really dense. If that’s not your thing, about 1 1/2 tsp of baking soda should do the trick)